It was a rainy fall morning just like today. The last of the leaves were falling off the trees and joining the others covering the ground.
My father had left early that Tuesday morning for one of his many trips during the week to our town dump. I remember fondly going with him as a child, for me it was our Saturday ritual. We would go to the dump drop off our garbage then try to find what my dad considered “gems”. Used lawnmowers, toys, tires you name it he would try to bring it home. Then we would make a stop at the Liquor store where I would get my pick of any soda I wanted, Grape Nehi (in the glass bottle) was my favorite.
My father had a reputation for over filling his truck and this particular morning was no different. He had been working taking someones roof off and loaded all the shingles the night before and as per usual it was over flowing.
This picture is of him with a typical load of brush. He even added wood sides to his truck so he could load more thus, make less trips.
That morning November 13, 2007, he left for what would be his last trip. The road was curvy the ground was wet and in a moment he lost control of his truck as it rolled into a reservoir. The truck was upside down, he was trapped, a passerby stopped and tried to get him out but was unsuccessful. Something died in me that day but at the sometime something was born. I had fear, anxiety and PTSD every year when the calendar told me it was fall again.
Then God stepped in…….. In a way that only He can.
I was very content with my 3 kids that I had in 4 years and I was convinced we were done. On February 28th 2009 I found out I was pregnant with our 4th child ( total shock) with a due date of November 8th. I prayed and asked God why He allowed me to have more kids, you see, I thought I wasn’t doing a very good job at it as it was so why in the world would He trust me with another. He clearly spoke to my spirit and said “Because of the death you have gone through I am giving you a new life” On November 13, 2009, 5 days past his due date (ps. all my kids were on time or early) at 3;30pm Jeremy George was born an hour before my dads time of death 2 years prior. The doctor’s and nurses even cried when I announced to my husband “its a boy!” I had plenty of time to share the story of my dad with them and how much this day meant to me and I couldn’t believe that I was having my baby!
Jeremy is an amazing boy and this picture catches his personality to a “T”. He is full of life and so much like his Grandpa George Loves the outdoors, fixing things and could be the life of the party…. one day. He is outspoken and everyone who knows him seems to just love him. One thing for sure he will tell you exactly what he is thinking, not always at the right time either. I know, every mothers dream for their 4th and last child. But he is a perfect example of God’s redeeming Grace.
I have learned so much since that tragic fall day.
- Bad things can happen to good people.
- God’s grace and strength are sufficient. 2 Corinthians 12:9 – But He said to me, ” My grace is sufficient for you [My lovingkindness and My mercy are more than enough – always available – regardless of the situation]; for [My] power is being perfected [ and is completed and shows itself most effectively} in [your] weakness.
- His promise of peace is real. Philippians 4:7 – And the peace of God [that peace which reassures the heart, that peace] which transcends all understanding, [that peace which] stands guard over your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [is yours]
- He really does Heal the Broken hearted. Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds [healing their pain and comforting their sorrow.]
- And… He turns our mourning into dancing and if we are patient, trust and wait on Him in will come to pass. Psalm 30:11 You have turned my mourning into dancing for me, You have taken off my sackcloth and clothes me with Joy.
My dad loved the Lord in his own quiet way, his journals he left behind are proof. He left a legacy because of who he was and all the things that made him unique.
The fall reminds me that there is beauty in death because when the leaves are at their most vibrant beautiful color they are actually ending one season and beginning another.
1 Corinthians 15:55 Death where is your victory? Death where is your sting?
Running with you in Freedom!